American Airlines Flight 77
Flight 77 provided nonstop service between Washington Dulles International Airport and Los Angeles International Airport. The aircraft was a Boeing 757, tail number N644AA. On September 11 the passengers for the 8:10 am flight included Hani Hanjour, Nawaf al-Hazmi, Salem al-Hazmi, Khalid al-Mihdhar and Majed Moqed, who would later be named as suspected hijackers.
- A Pentagon exercise involved responding to a hijacked jet hitting the building?
- Rumsfeld announced $2.3 trillion missing from Pentagon funds the day before Flight 77 hit the building?
- The hijackers weren't on the 9/11 passenger manifests?
- There were unusually few passengers on the 9/11 flights?
- Alleged pilot Hani Hanjour doesn't appear on the Dulles International Airport security video?
- Flight 77 went significantly off course at 8:46, before it was even hijacked according to the the 9/11 Commission Report?
- Why, on 9/11, was a plane reported as crashing near the Ohio/ Kentucky border?
- Alleged pilot Hani Hanjour didn't have the skills to fly a passenger jet?
- Flight 77 was tracked on radar all the way to Washington, contrary to the 9/11 Commission Report?
- Washington Air Traffic Controllers thought the approaching plane was a military jet?
- Only a very small number of passengers are listed in the Social Security Death Index?
- Where's the evidence that Barbara Olson called from Flight 77?
- But what about the evidence that the Flight 77 calls were faked?
- The flights were flown by remote control, not hijackers? (Technical analysis)
- The plane flew through restricted airspace P-56 and so should have been intercepted?
- The plane should have been shot down by the Pentagon missile batteries?
- What do witnesses say about the plane that hit the Pentagon?
- It's suspicious that no clear videos have been released of whatever hit the Pentagon?
- The FBI is hiding 84 videos of the Pentagon?
- The Flight Data Recorder indicates that Flight 77's cockpit door was never opened? (Contributed by Michael Jones)
- Ground effect means the plane wouldn't have been able to hit the building? (Cached)
- Photographs of an engine at the Pentagon show something too small for a 757? (Cached)
- Photographs of a wheel at the Pentagon don't match a 757? (Cached)
Photos, Video, Audio
Flight Explorer flight path
The following videos capture the five hijackers were filmed passing through the West Security Checkpoint at Dulles Airport (the complete footage was released at the Moussaoui trial). We've also included several videos showing the moment Flight 77 hit the Pentagon, the last ten minutes of an NTSB animation showing its final manoeuvres, and a screen grab of the FAA radar track also showing its last minutes. This last file in particular must be viewed full-screen to see it properly.
A military C-130 tells air traffic control that a 757 appears to have crashed into the Pentagon.
- C-130 and ATC conversation
Arlington County Police radio includes a report of an American Airlines plane near the Pentagon.
- Police radio records the first response
The Flight 77 passenger manifest has been published at the Moussaoui trial, and we've obtained further documents that reportedly came from the FBI:
The NTSB have released the following Flight 77-related documents:
- Flight Data Recorder Report
- ATC Report
- Flight Path Study
- Autopilot Flight 77 and Flight 93 Study
- Recorded Radar Data Study all Four Aircraft
- Reports on the cockpit voice recorders for Flight 77 and Flight 93
9/11 Commission interview summaries:
- Craig Marquis, Craig Parfitt, Mike Mulcahy and Joe Bertapelle of American Airlines
- Theresa Adams, FAA
- Richard Ducharme, FAA
- FAA Ops Centre
- Anthony Schifano, Indianapolis ATC
- Richard Byard, Indianapolis ATC
- Randy Kath, Indianapolis ATC
- Dave Boone, Indianapolis ATC Manager
- Jeffery Philips, Indianapolis ATC
- Dawne Deskins, NEADS
- Sgt Steve Bianchi, NEADS
- John Jester, DPS Chief at the Pentagon talks about plane crash exercises there and what he experienced on the day
- FBI reports on people who booked tickets for Flight 77 and Flight 11 but didn't board the planes
- FBI memos re: the Pentagon, including receiving the remains of 5 individuals believed to be the hijackers
- 9/11 Commission thoughts about why it was incorrectly reported that NEADS heard early about the Flight 77 and Flight 93 hijackings
- Armed Forces DNA Identification Laboratory paper, including a brief discussion on what can be learned from the Flight 77 and Flight 93 hijackers DNA samples (see pages 82-84)
- A 9/11 fax (?) with lists of initial hijacker suspects for Flight 11 and Flight 77, including their flight booking details
- An interesting radar-based timeline for Flight 77, so you can see where the plane was when different events occurred
- Army Staff Sergeant Mark Williams reports seeing airline passengers still strapped in their seats